I wrote these some time ago as a FB, yes, that is a weakness of mine, note thingy. I thought I’d put them here. Some are not on the topic that this blog was started about. Since my readership is so extensive, it isn’t gonna cost anyone much time. *grins* Here’s a copy, typos and all…
I’ve been pondering on lessons I’ve learned. Usually they take the form of status posts. This time I thought I’d write them as a note.
1. Having something greater than yourself to believe in is important.
2. Be fair in your dealings with other people.
3. Do not believe your own bulls**t.
4. Be sparing with the loyalty you give and, once given, do not be disloyal.
5. Tell the truth to yourself and others.
6. Everyone has their flat sides.
7. Being generous is fun.
8. Being surrounded by nice folks is better than being surrounded by exciting folks.
9. Adventures are for kids.
10. Laugh at yourself.
11. Love someone.
12. Treat people with respect and dignity.
13. All politicians lie.
14. Different people do things differently than you do. That should not exclude them from the people you love. If you exclude them, it is your loss. Some of the finest people I know do have made choices that I would never made. I am a better person for having them in my life and would be much diminished for having kept them out.
15. Some days you will be a complete jerk. You will pay for those days.
16. You will never understand women unless you are one. I am not.
17. It’s ok not to see eye to eye with your spouse on the little stuff like politics.
18. It is not ok to disagree with your spouse on the important stuff like faith and money management.
19. Never ever disrespect your spouse in public or private. If they were worth marrying, they deserve your respect. Teasing is not the same as disrespect.
20. The most beautiful woman in the world is the one you look at and see “forever”.
21. Be good at something.
22. Your spouse is not your servant. Your spouse is your partner.
23. Your emotional energy is not your own unless you are single. If you have a spouse/partner, your emotional energy belongs to them.
24. There are two people in the world that you have to keep happy. They are your spouse and your boss. You are not the third.
25. Having an active imagination is important. You have to practice to keep it that way.
26. Be a goof sometimes.
27. Be serious only when you have to.
28. There are two times of the day, on the clock and off the clock.
29. It is not all about me. In fact, what I want matters very little.
30. Don’t stress stuff you can do nothing about.
31. Different views and different ways of doing things do not make people evil. It makes them different. Being evil makes people evil.
32. What people do in their own private lives, if it does no harm to children or violence to anyone, is none of your business.
33. Protect the rights of others. Particularly protect the rights of folks you disagree with.
34. Don’t spend money you don’t have.
35. Show public affection for your spouse. Tell your friends how much they mean to you. Someday, you’ll be dead and then it’ll be too late to do it then.
36. You’re gonna argue and fight with the people you love. Fight fair.
37. Be grateful for what you have.
38. Have friends that are women, if you are a guy. That way when you screw up with your wife, they can tell you exactly how bad you screwed up. Also, women aren’t afraid of hurting our male ego’s, so they’ll be more honest with you.
39. Make damn sure your wife knows that you have the friends in 38 above and realizes that she has zero reason to be jealous of them.
40. Never ever give your wife a reason not to trust you. DO NOT EVER. This is not a conditional, “I wish I hadn’t gotten caught” thing. It is a moral absolute. Never break the faith. Period.
41. Put the seat down. Your life is easier for it.
42. Put your dirty dishes away and help fold the clothes.
43. If you have places in your past that you can never go back to, stay way away. Doesn’t mean not to revisit them in your mind to remind you why, but to stay away from the edge. There was no water in the pool the last time you jumped in, there isn’t gonna be any this time, either.
44. Read books.
45. Study failures so you don’t make the same mistakes. Study successes so you can figure out what they did right.
46. I am a big boy. If I screwed up, I’ll take the heat for it.
47. At some point every day, I’m gonna screw up.
48. Aches, pains, and headaches happen. Being in pain is not a good reason not to get on with the business at hand.
49. Do not live as an angry person. Anger is easy. Anger is also counter productive.
50. Do not let emotion rule your decisions. Think about them when you are calmer. A knee jerk is only good in the Dr’s office.
51. Don’t depend on other people to take care of you. They have themselves to take care of.
52. There is NO provocation that justifies violence toward women. Not one single reason. Not even “she hit me first”. If it gets that bad, leave. Period.
53. Related to 52, I reserve the right to leave.
54. If you hurt my wife, you’ll be dead and I’ll be waiting for the cops to show up.
55. I know a bunch of people. I like a bunch of people. I depend on very few.
56. Be a team player.
57. Hate is a bad thing. It should be reserved for the truly despicable. Dislike, on the other hand, happens all the time.
58. Life is fun.
59. I had no idea there were this many d**n rules.
60. When I was a kid, I thought I could do whatever I wanted when I was an alleged adult. I was not correct.
61. Sometimes, you look up and realize that your closest friends are people you never expected to be friends with.
62. For me, some of the people I’m closest to I will probably never meet in person. That doesn’t mean they have any less value to me.
63. I’m a homebody and like it that way. My house is dark and quiet. It has the woman I love in it. Home is safe and secure.
64. My wife is my best friend.
65. Some of these are specifically about a few people. I hope they see these and realize that I am talking about them.
66. I’ll add more to this list.
67. They did not teach mind reading in school. Give the other person the benefit of the doubt and do not assign motive without input from them.
68. Think for yourself. Fact check. Draw your own conclusions. Do not assume that everyone that says they are an authority actually is one.
69. Don’t be afraid to be wrong and admit it. Just don’t be wrong about the same thing twice. Find a different thing to be wrong about.
70. Minimize your hypocrisy. It’s ok to have views that conflict with others of your views. It’s not ok to have views that conflict with your actions.
71. Don’t be a Christian and have “Stone Him!!!” as your first response. If that were the case, we ALL deserve to be stoned.
72. Appearance is over rated. What’s inside is more important.
73. Male vanity is just dumb. If we were supposed to be good looking we’d have been born women.
74. Discomfort or minor aches are not a good enough excuse. You’ve been cold, wet, hot, tired, sore, itchy, or whatever. Eff it and drive on.
75. There is no excuse for not being on time unless you are on fire or bleeding. Early is better than late.
76. No one cares how well you did in high school or college. What matters is how well you did 5 minutes ago.
77. The reward for working hard is more hard work.
78. You can not control an other person. The only person you can control is yourself. Clean your own side of the street.
79. I am not responsible for trying to figure out how anyone other than my spouse thinks. I can not do that either.
80. The retarded wildabeast at the at the back of the pack is the one the lions eat. Don’t be a retarded wildabeast
There are bound to be more things than this. I may or may not update this again at a later date. These are in no particular order. If y’all find something of worth in there, great. If it’s all dross, that’s ok, too. Hope that y’all don’t mind that I fill FB with what I think. Again, the order is random as hell. Thanks to my parents, my wife, my friends, and my mentors for teaching me this stuff.