This is a sort of tongue in cheek post so, just follow along and hope it makes sense. As an aside before I get there, I’m at a spot writing these where I think they’re for me to look at the thinking and for Aj to read what’s behind what I say to her. If y’all happen to get some tidbits or ideas, great if not…well…so be it…
I was thinking about “Aj’s Rules for Raising a Best Friend” and this is what I came up with…
- Let the possible best friend get to know you.
- Allow them room to be their own smarta$$ self.
- When they smart off, tell them something about yourself that “freaks them the f**k out”.
- Wait some more.
- When they un-freak out, publicly state that you just figured that you have a “best friend”…
- Wait for them to figure out who you are talking about and then watch them freak out again because they didn’t realize it and are now happily surprised to have a “best friend that is not my wife”…and a bit “boggled” that it has happened.
- Tell them more details of what you are and answer their questions as they become “neurotic” as they process those details. *see also, “divination”, “spells”, “Goddesses and Gods”, “love”, and “magik”*
- Repeat #8 as needed over a period of years until they quit freaking out at “divination” and become used to the idea of “spells” and “magik”…even if they don’t want or need to know the mechanics of those processes.
- Allow that person to refer to you as “My Witch” publicly…and keep teaching them as needed…
- Love them.
Then there are “Miller’s Rules for Being the Best Friend of My Witch”
- Smart off.
- Get a response you didn’t expect.
- Freak the f**k out.
- Take some years to process that response.
- Be amazed when someone you admire says you’re her “best friend”.
- Accept the offer.
- Love them.
- Get used to the idea that she is going to startle the hell out of you.
- Be repeatedly startled over a period of years.
- Learn to live with that and quit being startled.
- Refer to them as “My Witch” because that term works as well as any and realize the important word is really “My’…and be the best possible best friend you are able.
I didn’t set out to find a best friend. I was just talking to a person that I liked. I’m not good at keeping best friends. I’d sort of given up on the process and was fine with it. I have one that I married and didn’t “need” one outside of that…’till I found out that I did. I particularly didn’t need a non-Christian Witch…right up to the point that I actually do…I wouldn’t recommend this process unless you are truly ready. Having all your preconceived notions of what is “normal” contains shattered isn’t easy and has “moments” of serious mental growth but, in my case, the reward for those “moments”, read “some years”, is that I have “My Witch” as “my best friend that is not my wife” and have a “reasonable expectation” of having her for as long as one or the other of us is alive to say that…So…maybe I do recommend it after all…
As a parting thought, I wonder what I get to find out about her next? What lessons? What thoughts? I dunno where that path leads but, I’m looking forward to it.